What is Lumity’s Student Based Enterprise?
Lumity’s Student Based Enterprise (SBE) is a STEM-focused job training program for students between the ages of 16 and 24 who are enrolled in Chicago Public Schools or community colleges. The objective of the program is to give hands-on real world experiences to teens and young adults to build technical, business/entrepreneur, and teamwork skills and to prepare them for employment.
SBE is a year-long, hands-on job training program for 40 teens and young adults teaching how to:
- Conduct Technology Needs Assessment
- Build websites
- Work on teams
- Present to small and large groups
- Launch and run a small business
- Obtain and retain a job
You’ll get resume building experiences and hands-on training to conduct technology assessments, build websites, work in teams, and enhance presentation skills- all skills you need to get good paying jobs.
How does it work?
There are two stages to the SBE:
- Phase I: Technical Training- Begins on Sat, Oct. 28, 2017 for 30 Saturdays through June. We will meet from 9 am to 1 pm at Lumity, 55 W. Van Buren St., 4th floor, Chicago, IL 60605.
- Phase II: for participants that successfully complete Phase I, you’ll get a paid summer internship for seven weeks for approx. 25 hours a week beginning July.
Students fill out the application to the right. Application deadline is October 20th.
If you’re 17 or younger at the beginning or the program, parental permission must be obtained.
and are interviewed mirroring a traditional employment application process.
Teams get supervision from instructors and volunteer coaches and all work is conducted by student interns.