08 Jan Celebrate ‘I am a Mentor Day’
“None of us made it on our own. Someone has given us that helpful nudge at some point. It’s important that you reach back and do the same for someone else.” – Miguel Guerra, Daily Point of Light Winner
January 8th is I am a Mentor Day. Be proud of the role you play in a young person’s life and share your story to inspire others to get involved.
As promised in an earlier post, here are several resources to help you be an influential and positive mentor:
- 10 Ways to be a Good Mentor – Blue Sky Coaching
- The Mentor Toolkit – Take Stock in Children
- How to be a Good Mentor – Forbes
- Using Your Knowledge and Experience to Help Others – MindTools.com
- Resources for Mentors – Illinois Mentoring Partnership
If you’re not yet a mentor, here are a few ways to become one:
- Find a mentoring program: Lumity works closely with CompTIA and the CPS Early College STEM Schools. Learn more about the program here.
- Another local organization, US2020, will match 1 million STEM mentors with students at youth-serving nonprofits by the year 2020.
- You can find even opportunities to mentor in Chicago through the volunteer-matching program, The Community Corps.
- Check out Lumity’s blog for local volunteer & mentoring opportunities.
- Talk to your supervisor. Start a mentoring program or volunteer initiative within your office. You can volunteer in groups, invite students to your office to learn about jobs in real life, or simply mentor young professionals within your company or industry associations.