What is Lumity’s Student Based Enterprise?
Lumity’s Student Based Enterprise (SBE) is a STEM-focused job training program for students 16 years old and older who are enrolled in a Chicago Public School or community colleges. The objective of the program is to give hands-on real experiences to teens and young adults on technical, business/entrepreneur, and teamwork skills to increase their interest in a career in IT and to prepare them for employment.
How many students are involved?
We recruit 40 students from under resourced neighborhoods on the south, north, and west sides of Chicago with the goal of retaining 30 by year-end. Students who continue to grow and perform will be invited to continue in the program for additional year(s) to deepen their skills gained by teaching new students and to learn new IT skills. New students will be added each year to maintain a minimum of 30 employees in the program each year.
How does it work?
- Lumity recruits students from various Chicago public schools.
- Students apply and are interviewed mirroring a traditional employment application process.
- During the school year (Sept-June), students attend instructional workshops on Saturdays to learn:
- Technical skills- taught through hands-on instruction with opportunities to earn certifications.
- Teamwork Skills- small teams of students are formed. Students experience geographic, racial, and gender diversity in these teams to prepare them for workplace diversity in future employment.
- Business/Entrepreneur Skills- students set-up a business, work with clients, and work on projects.
- Career & Life Readiness Skills- Social emotional learning skills to teach students how to be conscious of themselves and how to relate to others; what it means to be value-add; how to show up strong on the job.
- Students participate in a 7-Week Summer paid internship (July-August) where they work approximately 25 hours a week.
- Neighborhood businesses pay a nominal fee for the service ($300-$500).
- Students are paid for their work based on attendance and performance (up to $12/hour).
- Teams get supervision from instructors and volunteer coaches and all work is conducted by student interns.